An MP has said that Premier League side, West Ham would have to be forced to play within closed doors if there is any other repeat of the violence that marred Chelsea’s game with West Ham on Wednesday.
During the game, hundreds of fans clashed while seats, bottles and coins were thrown all around at the London Stadium. So far this season on West Ham’s new ground, this has been said to be the latest outbreak of disorder.
“None of these problems were unforeseeable given the nature of the stadium,” said Mark Field MP.
“Within the next 14 days, the West Ham board should present a detailed plan to the Football Association and Premier League outlining what they are going to do about security. There have been clear failings. If there is a repeat of the violence, the next two or three home games for West Ham should be played behind closed doors,” he told Evening Standard.
Speaking to the Telegraph, Damian Collins who is the chairman of the select committee for culture, media and sport, has said that where West Ham fails to properly police their new ground, then they have to stick to playing behind closed doors without the presence of any football fans.
The Vice-chair for the Hammers, Karen Brady has said that once identified, the club will not hesitate to ban all fans who took part in the violence. West Ham has said about 200 individuals are being investigated and it would soon be done with finalizing the identity of these people.
“Football doesn’t want these people and, with over 55,000 supporters on our season ticket waiting list, we certainly don’t need them at West Ham,” she wrote on Twitter.
On behalf of the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA), a body which advises the government on the matter, a spokesperson has said that the situation is being monitored very closely.